Commitment: One day per week approximately but seasonal variation
About the role:
We require someone with a keen interest in gardening to assist with the maintenance of an outdoor and garden area keeping them tidy and free of weeds so they enhance the healing environment and promote the use of gardening as a therapeutic activity.
The patients of the ward may also want to join in with the gardening, their input may be limited, so we are looking for someone who will be able to work alongside patients with dementia and rekindle their interest in gardening.
Under direction and with support may include the following:
- Prune foliage of shrubs and plants to prevent becoming over grown.
- Remove weeds
- Dead head and prune plants as required for the seasons.
- Sweep and tidy any paved and patio areas
- Clean garden furniture as required.
- Plant and maintain raised beds
- Sow seeds and pot on as required
- Water as required.
- Responsible for reporting any concerns or issues to your manager
Skills and attributes
- Interest and expertise in horticulture
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to adhere to health and safety requirements.
Most Challenging part of the role
- Working with patients to engage them in meaningful activities at times when motivation is low and engagement is difficult, necessitating the use of motivational and persuasive skills.
- Caring for patients who have limited understanding of their needs or risks associated with their actions.