Specialist Palliative Care Occupational Therapy Team
The aim of the Specialist Palliative Care Occupational Therapy Team is to support adults with a palliative care or life limiting diagnosis who are experiencing functional difficulties as a result of disease progression. The team works in partnership with patients so that they can be as comfortable and productive as possible and live as independently as possible with a sense of control, maximising their functional independence and quality of life.
We will work with you to decide on the goals of your treatment. This will depend on what is important to you as a patient.
How we can provide support
- retraining individuals in personal and domestic activities that are necessary for daily living
- assessing seating needs and prescribing wheelchairs and pressure relieving cushions
- providing help with problems related to changes in thought processes and the way that information is processed by the brain
- splinting to prevent deformities and control pain
- making home assessments
- referring to and liaising with social services for ongoing home assessment and provision of equipment
- helping with lifestyle management including investigating hobbies and leisure pursuits
- providing advice on and education about relaxation techniques
- aiding management of breathlessness
- aiding management of fatigue and energy conservation
- providing support and education for carers
- assisting with psychological adjustment and goal setting related to changes in ability