Post Covid Syndrome Service
We provide a rehabilitation service to support and manage the symptoms associated with Post-Covid Syndrome. We have a Multi Disciplinary Team including:
- Occupational Therapists
- A GP
- Health practitioner support
We provide support via individual and group care to teach strategies to manage fatigue, stress, sleep, breathlessness, vocational rehabilitation, nutrition, brain-fog and dysautonomia.
We only accept referrals from GPs or respiratory services. Patients will require blood tests as well as an X-ray or ECG if they present with relevant symptoms.
If you have a patient you are supporting and would like some advice or guidance about how to continue to support them please contact the team.
Phone: 0300 421 7096
Write to us: Post Covid Syndrome Service, NHS Training Hub, Invista Site, Ermin Street, Gloucester, GL3 4HP
Useful links and resources - Fatigue
The following resources may help you to understand fatigue and the influence of activity on fatigue. Our colleagues have developed these within the Specialist Fatigue Service in Bristol. We are working with them to help provide support and guidance for people with Post-Covid Syndrome experiencing significant fatigue.
Please note that these resources have been developed for patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). However, much of this advice and guidance is helpful and relevant for those with fatigue due to Post-Covid Syndrome.
This is a series of four seminars (videos) that aim to:
- clarify the symptoms of ME/CFS (these are similar to those Post-Covid Syndrome)
- explore some of the key self-management areas
- share coping strategies and finding ways of reducing the impact
The following workbooks support these seminars and are available as PDF documents:
- Workbook 1: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Foundation%20Phase%20workbook%201%20online.pdf
- Workbook 2: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Foundation%20Phase%20workbook%202%20online.pdf
- Practical advice on conserving your energy.
- Attempt to complete an Activity diary to learn more about your pattern of activity and how to balance your energy through the day:
An electronic version of the diary here: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Activity%20Rest%20and%20Sleep%20Diary.pdf
An electronic version of the guidance notes here: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/How%20to%20complete%20an%20activi
Useful links and resources - Support with Work
Some people with Post-Covid syndrome will have difficulty attending or returning to work. These resources could help.
Vocational Rehabilitation and support: http://www.ottoolkit.com/blog/energy-conservation-and-your-ot-patient/
Managing Covid related symptoms during sickness absence: https://youtu.be/3fHeLbDo40U
Return to work rehabilitation: https://youtu.be/29KcxHJb4qU
Managing ongoing covid related symptoms in the workplace: https://youtu.be/JNUBmWJgFms
Supporting staff with ongoing covid related symptoms to return to work: advice for managers: https://youtu.be/bryRdjlzqRM
ACCESS TO WORK SUPPORT
If you need support to remain at work including getting to and from work or having someone to cover part of your duties please access
Useful links and resources - Diet and Nutrition
Nutrition and COVID-19 Recovery – University of Plymouth – a series of talks produced by the University of Plymouth and the British Dietetic Association and multiple links to useful resources.
Useful links and resources - Breathlessness
Singing has been evident to make a difference on Post-Covid Syndrome – Mindsong run local groups which you can sign up to for free.
Local Support Groups
Post-Covid Syndrome can be lonely and isolating and one of the most valuable things is talking to other people who understand. Community groups are a great source of support, sharing experiences and information. They enable people to help each other and feel less alone.
Your Local community wellbeing service will be able to connect you with local resources and a support network.
- Cheltenham and Tewkesbury Community Wellbeing Service
- Forest of Dean Community Wellbeing Service
- Gloucester Community Wellbeing Service
- Cotswolds Community Wellbeing Service
- Stroud Community Wellbeing Service
- GL11 Community Hub provides a Post Covid Syndrome Support Group every third Wednesday of the month, via Zoom, from 1 to 2pm. To join, email audreyharris@GL11.org.uk
- Mindsong provide a Long Covid Singing Group. The groups are online via Zoom and also give a chance for you to connect with other people experiencing Long Covid recovery – a chance to share tips, make friends and have a bit of fun! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone: 01242 511522
- Gloucestershire carers hub is able to provide free support to anyone who may be caring for someone who has Post-Covid syndrome, or if you yourself are a carer for others and now have Post-Covid syndrome. Find out more about how the carers hub can support you via 0300 111 9000
- Low intensity exercise classes for people with Post Covid syndrome can be accessed using this form: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/Longcovidreferral/
- Artlift supports people with pain or experiencing mental health difficulties including anxiety or low mood. No skill, talent or experience in the arts is needed. Visit https://artlift.org/ or contact the team on 03000 200 102 or by email: email@example.com