Big Health Day: Friday 14th June 2024
Time: 9.30am to 2.30pm
Place: Oxstalls Sports Park, Plock Court, Tewkesbury Road, Gloucester, GL2 9DW
As part of Carers Week 2024, the Big Health Day is hosting various Carer support organisations as part of the event.
Carers Week is an annual campaign to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges unpaid Carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities throughout the UK. It also helps people who don’t think of themselves as having caring responsibilities to identify as Carers and access much-needed support.
If you are providing support for someone. This could be due to a disability, ill health, frailty, mental health or due to an addiction. Come along and see what support is available for you.
This annual event features accessible activities designed to help people with a disability, a mental health condition, hearing or sensory loss to stay active and healthy.
Big Health Day celebrated its 15th anniversary in 2023 with a repeat of the gorgeous sunshine of 2022. The day was as busy as ever, with 1,571 people attending, along with 101 indoor stallholders, 10 static vehicles, five activities on Plock Court Field, 10 inclusive sports activities, three interactive workshops and 152 volunteers from Hartpury College, University of Gloucestershire, Dene Magna School and Inclusion Gloucestershire, giving up their time to make the day happen.
With our links to Inclusive sports organisations, Active Gloucestershire co-ordinated 14 Inclusive and interactive sporting activities which included:
- Adapted Short tennis
- Spike Ball
- Powerchair Football
- Adapted bikes and trikes
- Longlevens Mixed Ability Rugby
- Inclusive football
Visitors were also able to visit the private and voluntary organisations creating awareness of activities and voluntary work including:
- Therapy Dogs Nationwide
- The Music Works
- Gig Buddies
- Veterans Outreach Bus
- Kingfisher Treasure Seekers
- Inclusion Gloucestershire Scrubditch Farm Animals
- Circus skills
- Sailing for the Disabled
- Assistive Technology
- Wiggly (cooking workshops)
- Drama Sessions
- Active Impact Marquee
- Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service
- GDR Solutions First Aid Service
- Mounted Police Horses`
- RevoLOOtion (mobile loos)
- and not forgetting Mr Whippy and his highly valued Ice Cream Van
Among the many health and social care stalls was information on:
- Annual health checks
- Easy read information and resources
- Learning Disability teams
- Children and Young People Services
- Post Covid Syndrome Service
- Community Dental Services
- Community Diabetic Services
- Community and Social Inclusion Team
- Gloucester City Social Prescribing Teams
- County Council Employment teams
- and many more amazing local organisations in Gloucestershire
Our Trust’s Charity Funds assisted to provide funding for 400 Health Goodie bags.
Video – Big Health Day 2023
Video – Big Health Day 2023 snapshot
Video – Big Health Day 2022
Aim of the Big Health Days
The aim of each Big Health Day is to:
- To deliver an inclusive event with the theme of staying healthy and active, meeting friends and having fun.
- To reduce health inequalities for people living with a learning disability, a physical disability and/or mental health problems and help people to help themselves, through activities outlined in our programme
- Our Accessibility and Facilities Statement is here
For more information, please contact Simon Shorrick, Strategic Health Facilitator and Lead Organiser or Karin Parker, Health Facilitation Team Administrator on 0300 421 3864 or 07766 733421.