Search for a condition, service or location
Translate this page

Covid 19 Information

Please visit www.ghc.nhs.uk/coronavirus/



Help in a crisis


If there is an immediate danger to life, please dial 999 or go to your nearest Accident and Emergency Department.

I am in Gloucestershire

If you or someone you know needs help in a mental health crisis, call our crisis teams. The teams work with those aged from 11 upwards.

Call 0800 169 0398.

And choose one of the following options depending on your location:

  • Option 1 for Stroud and Cotswolds
  • Option 2 for Gloucester and Forest
  • Option 3 for Cheltenham, Tewkesbury and North Cotswolds

Please note: telephone calls may be recorded. If you do not want that to happen, please tell the person who answers your call and they will phone you back on a ‘non-recordable’ telephone.

The number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Occasionally, callers may be asked to leave their name and number on an answerphone. In these circumstances, staff will return the call within one hour.

I am in Herefordshire

Mental health services in Herefordshire are now provided by Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust. 

Visit their website to find out where to get help – www.hacw.nhs.uk/urgent-help

If you need help but are not in crisis, please contact your GP if in opening hours, or 111. If you don’t have a GP use the NHS service search to locate the nearest one to you. If your query is not urgent, you can find our contact details here.

Are you feeling vulnerable? Do you need to talk to somebody now?


Call free on 116 123
If you are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide, you can call the Samaritans.

Stay Alive App

A pocket suicide prevention resource for the UK, packed full of useful information and tools to help you stay safe in crisis. You can use it if you are having thoughts of suicide or if you are concerned about someone else who may be considering suicide. The app can be accessed through the Apple Store, Google Play and downloaded as a pdf.


Call free on 0800 11 11
If you are a child or a young person you may want to speak to Childline.


Call 0808 816 0606
Or text 07537 410 022
A safe, supportive, non-judgmental and informative service for people who self harm, their friends, families and carers.
Open every day 5pm – 10pm for phone and text support.


Text 85258
Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

* Please be aware that the Care Home Support Team does not have a dedicated Speech and Language Therapist.

What does a Speech and Language Therapist do?

A Speech and Language Therapist can help people who are experiencing problems with:

  • speaking
  • understanding
  • reading or writing
  • swallowing
  • voice

They do this by;

  • formal and informal assessment
  • diagnosing the difficulty
  • giving therapy- both specific to the identified problem and to increase functionality
  • providing and training in the use of communication aids (if appropriate)
  • using counselling skills
  • educating and supporting family and carers regarding the difficulty and how to help
  • giving training sessions 
  • working with other professionals

How do I access Speech and Language Therapy?

For swallowing issues, you need to ask your resident’s GP to make a formal referral to the service. This can only be done by a doctor.

For communication issues, anyone can refer to the service. You do this by contacting Speech and Language Therapy Team, on 0300 422 8105 

Where will I receive Speech and Language Therapy?

The Speech and language therapist will initially visit you at your home. If the problem is with swallowing we will need a referral from a Doctor to see you. If the problem is with communication the person, their family, friends or support workers can refer them. You may be invited for further therapy at out-patient clinics or you may be reviewed at home, depending on your needs.

If you are admitted to hospital the Speech and Language Therapist will see you in hospital and help to get you home as soon as possible.

What do I do if I am unhappy about the service I am receiving?

If your concern is about the service you are receiving from the Speech and Language Therapy Service, you can discuss this with your Speech and Language Therapist or contact the Manager of the Speech and Language Therapy Department at 0300 422 8105.

After this, if you still feel you need to discuss it further, you can contact our service experience team on 0300 421 8313.