Our Gloucestershire Home Safety Check Scheme team is getting into the festive spirit and sharing some tips to keep children safe at home this Christmas.
You can help prevent avoidable accidents from happening during the festive period by following these top tips:
- Make sure you buy children’s gifts for the correct age group and from reputable retailers. Older children’s toys can contain small parts which can be a choking hazard for younger children
- Remember to buy batteries for toys that need them – that way you won’t be tempted to remove batteries from smoke alarms
- Look out for small items that could pose a choking hazard to young children, such as button batteries which, if not caught early, can do serious damage to the gastrointestinal system. Never leave these items lying around and make sure that children know not to put them in their mouths, ears or up their noses
- Keep decorations and cards away from fires and other heat sources such as light fittings and don’t leave burning candles unattended
- Ensure all fairy lights are out of reach from children and all trailing cables and wires to avoid strangulation
- Christmas novelties and decorations are not toys and they do not have to comply with toy safety regulations – place them high up and out of reach of young hands
- Give yourself enough time to prepare and cook Christmas dinner to avoid accidents that come from rushing, and wipe up any spills quickly
- Have scissors handy to open packaging, so you’re not tempted to use a knife – but keep these out of reach of children
- Falls and trips are the most common accidents, so try to keep clutter to a minimum and make sure stairs are well-lit and free from obstacles
- Keep alcohol and glasses out of reach from young hands
- Do not drink and drive, and plan long journeys so you won’t be driving tired
- Ensure someone is designated to watch the children at all times at gatherings. Its easy to think that because there are lots of people present that the children are being supervised but it is not always the case.
For a free Home Safety Check at any time of year please visit : Home Safety > Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust (ghc.nhs.uk)