A week-long series of events will be taking place across Gloucestershire to mark national Learning Disability Week 2015.
The annual event is organised nationally by the charity Mencap.
Locally there will be Employability workshops, as well as many opportunities to find out about the support and activities available to people with learning disabilities in the county.
The events, organised under the umbrella of the Gloucestershire Learning Disabilities Board, start on Monday (June 15) and the Board’s Joint Chair Jan Marriott said there was much to look forward to.
Jan said: "We are really excited about this week and many organisations and support groups will open their doors to provide opportunities for people with a learning disability in Gloucestershire."
Simon Shorrick, of ²gether NHS Foundation Trust's Health Facilitation Team, is coordinating the event with the Board.
He said: "We really hope people will take the opportunity to get involved in the week. It’s a great opportunity to get together and celebrate everything people with learning disabilities in Gloucestershire do, and what support organisations have to offer.
"There’s a lot happening so I’d encourage everyone who has a learning disability, as well as their friends, families, support workers and carers, to get involved."
Events taking place during the week include:
- Monday June 15 (11am until 1pm): Gloucestershire Voices Open House. The Manor House, 162 Barnwood Rd, Gloucester. Learn more about the user led self-advocacy organisation.
- Monday June 15 (9.30am until 11am; 1 until 3pm): Open day at Jamats Activity Centre for Adults with Special Needs, in London Road, Gloucester. Find out about exercise, drama, life skills, jewellery making, bingo, and lots more.
- Monday June 15 (10am until 12noon; 1 until 3pm): Truly Scrumptious Café at Orchard Trust Learning Centre and Smallholding site, in Lydbrook, in the Forest of Dean. Visit the Café and Art Exhibition and find out more about outdoor activities like growing vegetables and looking after animals.
- Tuesday June 16 (1.30 until 4pm): ²gether NHS Trust Open House, Weavers Croft, Field Road, Stroud. Find out more about learning disability support services and local agencies.
- Wednesday June 17 (10am until 3pm): Kingfisher Treasure Seekers Shop, in Westgate Street, Gloucester. Take part in creative workshops and find out about arts, crafts, music and discos for only £3.
- Wednesday June 17 (10am until 4pm): Genix Healthcare, in Station Road, Gloucester, will be offering oral care advice for both patients and carers.
- Wednesday June 17 (9.30am until 1.30pm): Cheltenham Leisure Centre, Tommy Taylors Lane. GE Aviation and Gloucestershire County Council are holding an awareness event on activities like learning about interviews, CVs and application writing as well as trying out sports games like basketball.
There will also be drop in sessions in Tewkesbury, Stroud, Coleford, Gloucester, Cirencester and Cheltenham for people to find out about services available in those areas. Full details are available online here.
To find out more about Learning Disabilities, and the myths surrounding them, click here.
To learn more about Learning Disability Week nationally, click here.